I never thought I would some day actually be interested in politics. I still doubt I'll be involved with it besides voting and being a good citizen. Who knows?
Yet lately with the American presidential elections my interest has peaked. Maybe because Romney shares my faith, maybe because it will be my very first time voting. Maybe I was too young to understand its relevance in my daily life, or when in Brazil there were just too many parties to keep track of them all. Whatever happened to me, I am grateful that at least I know what's going on in the country I currently live in.
During the electoral debate tonight I couldn't help my thoughts to wander to the importance of ALL people in America to be informed and aware of what's going on and the repercussions of whether they decide to vote or not.
While in Brazil all citizens have to vote by law, here in the United States all are encouraged to vote but not forced to. Each system has its pros and cons but I don't intend to focus on that. What I personally believe is that whoever you are, wherever you are and however your circumstances, you SHOULD vote, as long as you are well informed about your candidate--for whatever government position he/she is running for.
I confess I'm not aware of the state-wide elections, thus I will not vote on those for now and mess everything up. I have been following the presidential debate and can't wait for November 6 when I will vote for my candidate and, in a small but important way, be a part of history. Whatever the results, the people will elect whom they deserve--whether for good or bad.
Nenhum comentário :
Postar um comentário